The Council for Exceptional Children is a professional association of educators dedicated to advancing the success of children with exceptionalities. We accomplish our mission through advocacy, standards, and professional development.
Our Core Values:
- Visionary Thinking: Demonstrated by forward-thinking and courageous decision making dedicated to excellence and influence in an evolving environment
- Integrity: Demonstrated by ethical, responsive behavior, transparency, and accountability
- Inclusiveness: Demonstrated by a commitment to diversity, caring, and respect for the dignity and worth of all individuals
CEC advocates for appropriate governmental policies, sets professional standards, provides continual professional development, and advocates for newly and historically under served individuals with exceptionalities. CEC also helps professionals obtain the conditions and resources necessary for effective professional practice.
The principle purpose of the North Carolina Council shall be to advance the education of students with disabilities and gifted children and youth in North Carolina. Every attempt shall be made to cooperate with other organizations serving the needs of students with disabilities and gifted children and youth and to encourage and assist both individual members and organized groups in the promotion and extension of activities pertaining to the education and welfare of students with disabilities and gifted children and youth. North Carolina CEC provide state and local support in the way of an annual conference, regional training, and an electronic newsletter. We offer awards to recognize outstanding K-12 students with disabilities, leaders in the field of special education, and K-12 teachers. Scholarships are available for preservice teachers, and mini-grants are available for current NC-CEC members.
If you are a resident or attend school in North Carolina we encourage you to get involved in NC-CEC. We offer a strong network of parents, teachers, students and other professionals dedicated to empowering individuals with disabilities to reach their life goals. Come join us!
* NC-CEC Constitution click here to download a copy
* NC-CEC Nondiscrimination and Anti-Harassment Policy and Complain Procedures click here to download a copy